Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Arsi Negele

Sorry the pics are in reverse order - read below for the explanation!!!!






















We were "up and at 'em" by 5:30am this morning. Breakfast was a yummy egg & cheese omlet. Then lots of playing soccer with the gate guard & then kids on the street until our driver & guide showed up at 8am...we're on Africa time!!


Arsi Negele is 2 1/2 hours south of Addis Ababa. We drove through lots of little towns - well, I use the term "drove" loosely - I really meant "flew"! Our driver, Abel, makes a NYC taxi driver look like he's out for a Sunday stroll! It was CRAZY!!! No less than 2 times did I honestly think we were going to die....honestly. dead. I was praying like mad & almost asked the driver that if I paid him more would he slow down. What made it so crazy was the donkey drawn carts on the road as well, the cattle wandering along the side the road - no fences, no leads, sometimes with a shepherd....goats everywhere! a few chickens, lots of dogs....and we're going 120 km/h!!! INSANE. I asked Julie if it would be rude to kiss the ground when we pulled into the guest house - she suggested I at least rub some hand sanitizer on it first!!! CRAZY!!!

But God is FAITHFUL! AMEN and AMEN as Pastor Bill would say! I kept reminding myself that if today is my day - it wouldn't matter if I was in this van - or walking next to the road. Apparently it was one donkey's day - he was belly up in the middle of the road.....a donkey...in broad daylight....I didn't see a one of them moving any faster than Grand Daddy....so sad. I wonder what Ethiopians are in such a hurry for???

All that said I would do it in a heart beat to see Arsi Negele!!! It was a smaller village. With roads that make the Knox' driveway look like the autobahn :) I can't even imagine what it would look like during the rainy season. We were quite a novelty. Our guide - Mulugate thought we were probably the first white people they'd ever seen. I felt very out of place. Julie on the other hand jumped right in! We were instantly surrounded by children - from 1 year old to probably 13 years old. She took a picture of them & then showed it to them! They were so excited! So lots of picture taking ensuded - by the end she was walking with 4 kids hanging on each hand - one for each finger! and a few holding her arm. We walked down to the river & saw a few men filling their watering cans.

I really wanted to bring something back from the town Ellie was found in. I doubt she was from their - everyone would've know who she was. But obviously her mother thought it would be a good place for her -and that was enough to make me love it! Mulugate asked one of the women if they had any pots to sell - oh boy! We got quite the pot showing then. Unfortunately they'd just taken all the finished pots that were ready to the market. But we were able to buy a pot that they use to hold charcoal. She wanted 10 birr for it - less than a dollar! Matt gave her 100 - like $8 dollars. He then had the most beautiful little girl carry it back for us.

The boys were so funny!!! They were playing soccer (it was a ball made of socks) with the other boys as we walked. On the way back Ben found a cow horn & pretended he was a rhino. The kids thought that was hilarious!!! Both Jack & Ben had kids holding their hands as well.

When we got back to the van I tried to hand out snacks & candy - it was a bit of a mob scene. I'm not sure how I could've done it differently....but I'm still glad I did it.

On the way back we stopped & bought sugar cane & watermelons! We could've bought fish in a plastic sack, red onions, tomatoes, some kind of berry still on the bush.

In 10 hours we meet Ellianna!!!! I can't even believe it! If we can somehow make her feel 1/2 as loved as we felt by the people of Arsi Negele we'll be doing good :)

Tomorrow morning is our paperwork "party" then it's off to lunch & to the transition home. They bring the kids out alphabetically.....why oh why did I ever let myself get strapped to a ROSS! oy! I'm sure I'll be an absolute puddle by the time it's our turn!!! It's ok -they'll be happy tears!

Please keep Ellie's transition & our safety on the road in your prayers :)
Gabe & Caleb - We miss you SO MUCH!!!! It was so good to hear you're having fun with Miss Caylene! We promise to tell Ellie tomorrow about her 2 other brothers and how excited you are to meet her! Caleb we saw lots of construction equipment today! I even took a picture of a giant excavator for you. Gabe you'd be proud of Ben - he ate spaghetti with sauce today!!!
We love you ALL & can't tell you how much your prayers and support mean to us!!!
I can't WAIT to post tomorrow night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH!!!!!!
Jill












2 comments:

Julie said...

Pete, Colby and Macy,
I miss you all so much! Pete, you would have LOVED the driving here! It was EXACTLY like Italy but the cars are older, the road are in horrible condition (they truely make our driveway look like a 5 star freeway!), there are large animals wandering EVERYWHERE on the roads, AND zero -I mean ZERO- trafffic lights/signals/or lines!!
God was so good and our guardian angels were working overtime, but we traveled to Arsi Negela and back in one piece. I loved all the children there. They were so very friendly and loving. Such a delight. I would go again. We are excited to meet Ellie today. I love you all. PLEASE check your email!!
Julie

Anonymous said...

Julie and Jill-
Glad that you made it there safely. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We were excited to hear that the luggage of donations made it in at 50lbs! Our prayers and well wishes are with you.
Kyle, Mandi, Connor, and Caitlyn White