Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers
Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, May 20, 2011

Day one

We zipped thru the visa and customs line, snagged our luggage while Matt waited in line to exchange money, and were out the door of the airport in less than 40 minutes!

It was quite hysterical watching them load our 6 giant bags, 3 carry on size bags, and 3 backpacks in a hyundai accent! 5 of the 6 giant bags were perched on top of the car and we each held a bag or two on our laps. I was a bit nervous as the way they drive here is NOT condusive to bags on top of a car! and if the crazy driving doesnt get them...the massive potholes will! but we made it safe & sound!

We had planned to stay at the Grace Guest house...but it was not the hotel we had seen on the internet. Turns out they had moved to a new house with more rooms...but a way smaller court yard and the main sitting area was on the 5th floor. We stopped by the Addis Flower after we picked up the kids and decided it was a MUCH better fit for us....whew!

I could hear Buzena yell MOMMY when we drove in! She let Matt hold her right away & within 5 seconds Bona was feeding me one of his crackers :) It was killing me, because I wanted to love all over them...but at the same time I wanted to have pictures of the first time Matt met them! Where's Kelli when you REALLY need her!?!?!?

We played at the orphanage for a while. They still have their picture blankets on their beds. Gabe was quizzing Buzena on everyone's name - and she knew them all! Quite a feat when you have 6 siblings!

We then zipped over to the Addis Flower & then on to the Yebsabi to see Caylene. She wasn't there as she was at the Hilton changing her plane tickets to leave that night! I was very excited for her...and super sad for me....Sada had come down with chicken pox that morning and she had been able to convince the embassy to give her their visas early so they could get him home before he was contagious!

I got to sit and chat with her while she finished her packing and the boys wrestled while the girls "played" with Buzena's zebra...playing in quotes because they're 2 and 3...so it was a little more like arguing! We tried to get a picture of the 4 of them together - ha! I was a lot like trying to herd cats - language barrier and all!

We had dinner together and at 7 they were off to the airport - and we were off to our hotel.

By 9 we were all sawing logs - until 6:30! I think the night in Dubai really helped our systems figure out the time zone change. It made for a VERY long travel experience - 2 and 1/2 days - but a nice transition!

No comments: