It's amazing to see the difference a week makes!
We went swimming again at the Sheraton yesterday. The kids about did back flips when I pulled out their swim suits. We had such a good time. The weather was perfect! The kids must have gone down the slide 50 times. Buzena even went head first :)
I got a little more insight into what they must be going through.
There was a German family there with their newly adopted Ethiopian son. He must have been 4 years old. Of course they're speaking to him in German. It was like a light bulb went on for me! I know I understand in my head that Bona & Buzena don't understand what I'm saying....but it would be like someone was only speaking German to me....and I have 2 years of German! It reminded me how lonely & frustrating it much be to live with me....while I do feel LOVE is a universal language....it doesn't really translate NO you can't have chocolate for breakfast :)
I have been praying all day that God would help us communicate better & "get" each other - it's really helping!
We walked to Kaldi's for lunch. I found out the kids LOVE ketchup & I love sambusa! No, sambusa isn't some yummy big person drink :) it's essentially ethiopian eggrolls - except they're super spicy! Bona heard me say sambusa while I was looking at the menu. He started bouncing up & down & saying sambusa YES! So we got two orders of those with fries. That, a mango juice, carmel macciato & a giant piece of cake was less than $8...oh how I will miss Kaldi's!
Then to avoid walking home in the down pouring rain we went & got some pictures printed. I wanted to add some from this visit to the picture book we sent them in December and to print out the pictures from our visit with our One Changed Life kids. I plan to have the orphanage director pass them on for me.
Next stop - the grocery store. We needed water & lotion....and just like at home I ended up with way more than that! Bona talked me into mango juice & apples...which I nearly reconsidered when I found out how much they were. $5 for 5 apples! yikes! But we hadn't had any fruit since I've been here and I was craving them too.
Thankfully, by then all that was left of the rain was giant puddles!
Buzena & i did our nails while Bona watched Toy Story 3 for probably the 20th time! it is in english...so we watch it a couple times a day...I'm hoping he'll think Andy is a pretty cool name for himself....Andrew Bona Ross - i love it!
Tomorrow it's church...Monday we'll try & hit the pool again & Tuesday it's back to real life....I'm trying not to dread it already. We still have TWO WHOLE days left!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







3 comments:
YAY! Glad it is going so well. Praying for strength and divine understanding for the kids as you prepare to come home again.
Bless you. We are waiting right now for a court date for our girls, they are 9 years old.
I hope you guys have a safe trip home.
Wonderful insight Jill!
We know each other so well and yet we were both so very frustrated with trying to "skype" with each other when my mic wouldn't work. I could understand you, but you couldn't understand me just based on my expressions.
Oh what Bo and Zena must be feeling..... To want so much more of what they are getting just a taste of now.....
BUT LOVE is universal.
Pete's Gramma shared wise words with me many years ago. I remember Colby was just a baby and sick and crying and unconsolable. I was crying to Pete's gramma saying, "I don't know what to do for him...." and her reply was, to just love him. He may not be able to understand what I was saying (he was too little) but he will retain that feeling of being loved, and NOT being alone when he felt so miserable.
I'm sure it will be similar with Bo and Zena when they are so frustrated and even scared with all that is new. They will remember that you were there with them and that you showed them love, even if you couldn't give them the words they could understand.
What a blessing they are. I can't wait to meet them and start loving on them too!
Give them hugs from Auntie Julie now please.
Post a Comment